Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Smart People

2008 * R * Dramedy
Dennis Quaid * Sarah Jessica Parker * Thomas Haden Church * Ellen Page

This movie is quirky, quirky, quirky! I loved it though. Its a little like Juno but the people are more rough around the edges. That's one of the things I loved about it though. It was real people with real issues, but still funny and enjoyable to watch. This movie has some great writing and a very good pace to it. Its a story about a widower and his family. In dealing with his loss, the widower has essentially become asleep at the switch or is just going through the motions. Life is passing him by. He is missing out on his family and their issues as well as in his career. This movie is basically about people living life beside each other and the impact we have on one another.

Questions I'm pondering:

Why does Sarah Jessica Parker always look so sad?

When did Thomas Haden Church become a brilliant actor? He was great in Wings in the 80s, then nothing for 20 years, then Sideways and this!

Will Ellen Page be able to keep up the interesting, well acted characters?

Has Dennis Quaid always had the eyes and facial features of Jack Nicholson or did he learn that for this movie? Or did he have a procedure done?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Enjoyed your reviews and now I have your blog "favorited," too!! I'm so ashamed that I'm so far behind in my movie watching . . . maybe reading your blog will inspire me to get back to the theatre!

Anonymous said...

OOh..sounds like a winner. I like the questions to ponder. I was looking for your ratings - was it a 4 hatchet or 5 hatchet movie??